I am extremely conc...

Notifications
Clear all

I am extremely concerned as my baby is not gaining adequate weight. Can you please share some tips to increase weight?

Geetu Shenoy
Topic starter
(@geetu)

I am extremely concerned as my baby is not gaining adequate weight. Can you please share some tips to increase weight?

1 Reply
Dr. Mridula Amarnath
(@mridulacradletown)
Trusted Member

Hi Geetu,

All babies grow and develop at different paces. For some babies, growth is normal and for others, it may be met with a delay. There is no reason to worry about this, as it can occur due to inadequate nutrition, premature birth etc. If these growth problems continue over a period of time, it may signal a condition known as “Failure to thrive”.

Some tips to promote weight gain in babies who are breastfeeding are:

• Watch for signs that the baby wants to breastfeed.
  • Make sure the baby latches on correctly.
  • Increasing your milk supply by taking your postnatal supplements. And other foods like fenugreek, fennel, milk thistle, dates etc which may help in increasing the milk production.
  • While breastfeeding, make sure that the baby is taking the hindmilk as well as the foremilk. Hindmilk has a higher fat content than foremilk.
  • If the baby is “sleepy”, then it is required to wake the baby and feed them frequently, around once every 2 hours during the daytime and evening hours and at least once every 3 to 4 hours at night until weight gain improves.

If breastfeeding is properly managed, and yet the baby is not able to gain enough weight, it is likely that some other factor is affecting milk production or the baby's ability to breastfeed effectively. In such a case, it is ideal to consult the pediatrician.

Share: