My child is an extr...

Notifications
Clear all

My child is an extremely picky eater. Do you think making a separate meal for her always will help or should I allow her to adjust to our regular meals?

Lalitha Vishwanath
Topic starter
(@lalitha)

Hello Doc ,I am a mother of a 2 year old baby. My child is an extremely picky eater. Do you think making a separate meal for her always will help or should I allow her to adjust to our regular meals?

1 Reply
Dr. Mridula Amarnath
(@mridulacradletown)
Trusted Member

Hi Lalitha,

Some tips for managing this situation are:

• Have meals together as a family: avoid any distractions, and use this time to model healthy eating. If the child refuses to eat, do not make them a separate meal, as this will only reinforce picky eating.
  • If your toddler refuses a meal, do not fuss over it: It’s good for children to learn to listen to their bodies and use hunger as a guide.It's a parent's responsibility to provide food, and the child’s decision to eat it. Pressuring kids to eat, can make them actively dislike foods they may otherwise like.
  • Try not to get your toddler to eat by means of “bribes” or rewards.
  • Do not give up after the first time your toddler refuses food. Try again on subsequent days.
  • Try to present the food in a more eye-catching, colourful way.
  • Try playing around with spices to make the food more delectable for the toddler.
  • Try involving them in the process of food preparation: It can be something small such as sifting, stirring etc. with immense parental supervision. This will perk their interest in eating the food they supposedly made.
Share: